Sunday, January 10, 2010

Tangled up in....Zen?


Eegads.... be careful what you read.
I say that because I have inadvertently fallen into another creative vice.

A few weeks ago, while innocently leafing through my Nov./Dec. issue of "Cloth Paper Scissors" magazine, I came across the article by Sandy Steen Bartholomew where she wrote about journaling with "Zentangles". Zentangles? Cool name. I was intrigued. So I did what the curious do in these technological times--I Googled it.

Seems that "Zentangles" are detailed abstract drawings created through what is essentially an organized form of chaotic doodling using repetitive lines & patterns--the process of which is supposed to be very meditative and put you in a "zen-like" state.
"Hmmm", I thought. Who couldn't use more "zen"?

So I pulled out my Micron pens, some smooth hot-pressed watercolor paper and tried "zentangling" for myself. Wow. Who knew that simple lines, circles & zig-zags repeated in random spaces could be so fun! Yes, it is relaxing but as far as reaching that "zen" state?

Yea....maybe if I include a massage and a margarita.

No comments:

Post a Comment