Anyway, here is the sketch I started out with. As you can see, I started with the basic idea for the head and then added the body/limbs later as my idea evolved. I knew I wanted to use a combination of fabric and wool felt for this doll cuz I love texture--plus, I hand-dye most of my own wool felt so I get some really cool mottled colors.
After a couple attempts, here is the first prototype of my idea brought to life. The face is 3-dimensional--a machine-stitched trapunto technique that I stuff and then hand-paint with acrylics. He stands about 7" tall which includes the hand-painted wooden base.
I'm pretty happy with the results but I most likely will be tweaking some things. I didn't do the exact face as my original sketch, but probably will on the next one. I also want to try some different color combinations, maybe a slightly different body shape and perhaps elaborate a bit more on the costume.
It's still a work in progress.